See us on video!
Haus Peter Regen sitting room
Haus Sterr Anton kitchen dining room
Bavarian Holiday Ideas
Ideas for interesting holidays in the Bavarian Forest
Many of our guests just want to rent an apartment and do their own exploring. That's absolutely fine - and we supply 150 page file of specially written tourist information to make that easier. If you want to get an idea of what that sort of holiday can be like, click here for suggestions for 1 or 2 week holidays visiting places in Bavaria and Bohemia.
But increasing numbers of guests, especially coming to such an unknown area, are looking for particular themes or activities for their holiday. These are some of our suggestions:
- If experiencing local culture is your thing, then Bavaria is the place to come. Check out this page for information on when the best local and medieval enactment festivals are happening, both sides of the border.
- What about finding out more about local activities, history and nature and having a go yourself. We have found lots of local activity ideas here.
- A self catering apartment is not everyone's first choice for a honeymoon or romantic break but check here to see what a break in an apartment in our 'Hansel & Gretel' house, Haus Martin, has to offer.
- Going on holiday with a young baby or toddler is always going to be a challenge but check here to see how we try to make it as easy as possible and how much there is to do in the area.
- Taking children to Disney may be the easy option, but what about bringing to a real life magical forest where they can learn to swing from tree to tree, see wild animals in their natural habitat and try out the summer toboggan runs - more ideas here.
- If history is your thing, then come to where it actually happened. Find out how far General Patton ventured into 'Eastern Europe' in 1945 and see the traces of the Iron Curtain where it ran along the edge of the village - what happened when a group of Czechoslovak youngsters tried to crash through the border at Bayerisch Eisenstein? We have a whole week of suggestions here.
- Walking holidays are increasingly popular but what about a place where you can walk to a different destination in Bavaria or Czech Republic from your front door - and go even further using the free local transport. We have plenty of suggestions here.
- The Bavarian Forest may not be well known outside Germany as a winter sports destination but the Germans certainly know a good thing when they see. The Arber hosts World Cup races as well as the training centre for the German National Team. Snowboarding and tobogganing facilities are also on the Arber as well as a great children's centre. And the Bavarian Forest offers endless opportunities for cross country skiing and walking - with or without snow shoes. Find out more here.
- If there is one thing Germany is well known for throughout the world it is Christmas Markets. From our base in the Bavarian Forest, you can visit the daily markets in the big cities as well as the local village weekend markets. Ideas for a long weekend visit here.
- Christmas and New Year away from the glitz and commercialism (not to mention TV)? That's what you'll get here. A quiet village with walks in the forest - and skiing on Christmas Day. And we do our best to make it special, with your apartment decorated for Christmas, an enjoyable dinner at a restaurant on Christmas Eve and a Christmas party - all optional of course.
Bavarian Forest Holidays
94252 Bayerisch Eisenstein
(Germany) +49 (0) 9925 90 32 04
(UK) 07813 811 497 (Martin)
(Ulrike – Germany) +49 (0) 160 9171 8011
Skiing on the Arber
Arriving by train from the UK
Baby bear in the Bavarian Forest National Park
Bavarian Forest mountains
Martin with the first Sengzelten
Our guest shop, open 24/7